Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Slanter Agrees: Bad Service at R&A Cycles

Every once in a while Time Out gets it right. This week they have an article on best and worst service in NYC. They award R&A Cycles on 5th Avenue (btw Sterling and Park) with their “ConEd Award For Bad Service.” Bad service? Try aloof, hateful and inept service. As soon as I walk into this place I’m dodging the mysteriously high number of employees who stomp through the narrow aisles ignoring me while trying to service...who? I have no idea because I’m usually the only one in there. And all I want to do is buy a tube. So can you find a good deal here? Absolutely not. Everything they sell can be found cheaper in (yes it’s true) Manhattan. And even cheaper on the Internet. Unfortunately it’s conveniently close to me. So when I’m desperate for a bike tube, I muster my liberal-sodden machismo, walk into this shop and stand in the way of someone. “Help you?" the one says. “Tube,” I say. “Yo! Get ‘em a tube!” he yells to all thirty men working there. Of course not one seems to hear. “Damn. A’right. I get you one,” he says (with his eyelids showing the heavy burden of me.) And I think, not loudly enough, "I'm so sorry for buying something, again...here." So how does this place stay open? Well, if I ever start smoking crystal I’m sure I’ll find out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see you work retail.


How does R&A stay open you ask? How about worlds largest Road & Triathlon Pro-Shop. If you want a tube go to dixons on union between 6th and 7th... if u want a cup of tea and a foot massage for your 5 dollar tube purchase go somewhere else. When you want a real bike, lets see you go to any other store and have any of the seleciton or advice these guys have. Any other store will try and fit you on a bike they can find. R&A actually gives you the right product.

Anonymous said...

Aisles? 30 employees? Are you that retarted or just stuck up and anally an idiot? That shop is small, no aisles, no 30 employees... you must have been one of those "customers" who did not want to wait when the staff was actually working and you thought the world should stop for your hippy democrate anti war anti bush anti establishment non shaving a$$

Anonymous said...

These last two jokers are obviously shills for R&A, The Shittiest Bike Shop on the Planet, hands down. I don't care if you sell a high-end Serotta or a Schwinn cruiser, there's no excuse for treating people like crap. Plus those R&A greaseball fatsos don't even bike themselves, it's patently clear -- they're the used car salesmen of the bike industry. Park Slope will be a better place when these guys move!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm "retarted" for ever spending a dime in R&A shit shop. If you assholes don't want to sell a tube, then don't stock tubes. Fucking idiots.