Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Curry Quandary

I was on my way to Delices De Paris (9th Str. btw 5th & 6th) for their splendid chai latte (consistently served steaming hot) when I was faced with this horror. Rarely do sidewalk signs deliver bad news. Terrible news in this case. The Chip Shop (5th Ave & 6th Str.) has closed their adjacent Curry Shop. This was the best place for Indian cuisine on or around 5th Avenue. I barged in and asked why…tell me why! They’re “downsizing,” they said, to concentrate their efforts on The Chip Shop. Hmmm. I don’t know if I buy it. Those fish and chips can’t get any better. I see throngs of people day and night risking years of cardiovascular health for those deep fried wonders. Someone raised their rent I’m thinking. And that selfish someone didn’t consider my needs first. The chef is keeping the chicken tikka masala on the menu. But sorry, not good enough. I want my vindaloo. So now I’ll have to settle for Star of India (5th near President Str.) Their dishes are way overpriced considering the cheap cuts of meat they use, but their delivery service is fast. By the way, I never got my latte. Delices De Paris is closed for the next week. They had something scribbled on their door about a burst pipe in the basement. I adore that place so I wish them good luck in their repairs.

1 comment:

Sharon Mesmer said...

Have you ever seen anyone actually eating INSIDE Star of India? Nuff said. What this neighborhood DESPERATELY needs is a good Indian restaurant. Amin on 7th doesn't cut the chutney. But we can thank Vishnu that the hideous India House on 7th closed a long time ago. Sadly, nothing Indian-esque has replaced it.