Thursday, March 1, 2007

Wall of Wonders

There’s nothing like a good wall to stare at--this one in particular on Douglas near 5th. I’ve loved this wall ever since I moved here. It surprises me that after ten years the lavender painted blocks haven’t faded to gray. Nor has the wall been “revitalized” with a coat of paint that better represents the upscale brownstone life. There’s a mysterious beauty in the incongruity of this wall with the rest of neighborhood. When I pass it I always have a brief pleasant feeling that I’m standing on the outskirts of a desolate Caribbean town. Can you buy a wall of a building like you buy a condo in a building? I can’t afford a condo but maybe a wall. If this were my wall I’d put a chair and table in front it, sit down with a bottle of rum, listen to mambo music, and freeze my ass off until summer.

No comments: